Junior Home International weekend, Aug 30 2014
Date of event: Sat 30th Aug 2014
Type of event: National (A)
Nearest town: Oban
After an exciting relay, Scotland pipped England to overall first place. Final team scores: Scotland 129, England 127, Ireland 56, Wales 46.
Four EckO youngsters made major contributions to Scotland's success, the first in eleven years.
On day one (the individual races) Eilidh Shearer finished a superb second in the W14 race, with Jura Macmillan close behind in fourth place. Roanne Lilley also had a super run in the W16 class, finishing in third place. Briony Kincaid finished 6th (second Scot) in the W18 event.
Day two, the relays, started with Scotland trailing England by six points. The Scots went about their business by by finishing second and third in the Girls' Relay to their rivals England, who finished first and fourth. The first three teams finished within ten seconds of one another to tumultuous cheers from their team mates. England's Alice Rigby deserves great credit for overhauling and holding off the two Scottish teams, as does EckO's Jura MacMillan for pulling her team into contention in the second leg, taking her team into first place. Scotland still trailed by six points though.
The decisive result came from the Scottish boys who finished first and second, with their English rivals third and fourth, to turn around the overall result and win by two points.
- All the teams and their coaches for travelling so far and wide to get to this corner of the British Isles and for their camaraderie and competitive spirit on and off the dance floor!
- Organisers: Kate Hunter and Andrea Lines
- Planners: Ross Lilley (Individual), Andy Dale (Relays)
- Controller: Ross Maclennan
- Landowners: Lorn Nelson (both days) and Forestry Commission Scotland (Relay Parking). Plus Lorn Nelson, Peter Sinclair & Gregor for kindly giving up their farm yard and for moving their cows out of the competition areas despite the cows' eagerness to spectate.
- Download, Results and Route Gadget: Andy Dale & Alan Partridge
- Control checkers, wake uppers and collectors: James and Jess Tullie, Ross Maclennan, Fiona Berrow
- On the day helpers: Gordon & Susannah Macmillan, Gordon & Lucy Shearer, John & Suse Coon, Julie Watson, Jan Kersal, Gill Berrow, Fiona & Robert Kincaid, Carol Burnapp, Tom Lines, Callum Hunter, Alasdair Lilley, Ellis Hunter, Rona Shearer, Iris Macmillan.
- Kilbowie Outdoor Centre staff - particularly Seoras Lindsay
- Oban Mountain Rescue Team - loan of marquee
- Taynuilt Sports Association - use of sports pavillion
- Saturday Night Ceilidh Band: James Macpherson, Rebecca Macpherson, Anna Garvin
- Scotjos coaches: Maureen Brown & Bill Stevenson for their guidance on JHI procedures and processes.
- Start Clocks: Ted Finch
- West Coast Loos
- ATAM equipment hire
- Nearest town: Oban
- Grid Ref:
- Latitude: 56.41516
- Longitude: -5.47105
- Google Map (aerial) - Bing Map (OS)
Click the image for a larger version.
Mainly broadleaved woodland, interspersed with open areas; areas of marsh aid navigation. The whole area is covered by an abundance of contour detail creating detailed undulating terrain. Wonderful terrain that should be visited at least once in an orienteer's lifetime!
Please note: when entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.
Posted by Andy Dale