Spring series #3Creag Mhic ChaileinSun 27 June, 2021
Local level event
Explanation of Event levels
Local events are usually low key and in the 'localised' area, ideal for newcomers to try the sport and Activities are non competitive events used for training and coaching, aimed at members of the club, but they can attract people from neighbouring clubs, and are often ideal for newcomers to try the sport. Regional events attract participants from around the local Region, National events are high quality competitions that will attract people from far away, Major events are Major Events such as a British Championships.
Pre Event Info
Creag Mhic Chailein (Possible meaning -The crag of the son of Colin. Anyone got any other ideas?) is a fantastic area of mainly broadleaved woodland, interspersed with open areas. There are also areas of marsh which will aid navigation. The last event here was early in 2016.
Many thanks to Dave Bleazard for planning this event and we look forward to some fantastic courses. We would also like to thank Lorn Nelson and the estate for permission to use the area.
We extend a warm welcome to SWAT who will be training in the area during the morning and participating in the event in the afternoon.
Near: Taynuilt Lat,Lng: 56.44498,-5.33624 OS Grid Ref: NM948333 Postcode: PA37 1PR
Directions / Parking
Coming from Taynuilt along A85, take the left turn (W3W norms.flooding.sunroof) after the railway bridge (approximately 4 miles after Taynuilt). Follow the farm road under another railway bridge. Parking will be in the farmyard and as directed.
Please take great care when leaving the event to make the right turn onto the A85 as visibility is very poor and traffic is moving fast. It might be advisable to turn right towards Oban and turn round at Connel. Please advise if you are thinking of bringing a camper van/ motorhome.
Map / Terrain
This area reflects Argyll orienteering at its best! The beautiful old woodland is in great condition currently with a veritable soup of fantastic features to aid navigation...or not:) The bracken, ticks and midges are all currently flourishing owing to the recent humid, warm(ish) weather. Please wear full leg coverings and check thoroughly for ticks after your run.
Registration and Start times
All starts are approximately 200m from the car park. Start times will be from 1pm - 2.30pm with courses closing at 4pm. The finish is approximately 100m from parking.
Please ensure that you download before leaving the event. Download will be close to the car park. All pre-ordered dibbers will be at download.
Courses are as follows (length and height to be confirmed)
Please do not attend this event if you are currently exhibiting any Covid symptons. As with our previous events, we respectfully ask you all to observe the current COVID regulations, 2m social distancing, avoid gathering in groups at download and that you are familiar with British Orienteering's Code of Conduct
NOTE - This event is PRE-ENTRY ONLY
Non-members and orienteers from outwith Argyll may enter this event.
There will be NO entry on the day and no late entries.
Entries open on Sunday, 13th June 2021 and close on Sunday, 20th June 2021.
Start times will be issued on Thursday 24th June 2021
- Names of people entering
- Which course each person is entering
- Include your dibber/ SI number or whether you would like to borrow a dibber.
- BACS transfer - this is ECKO’s much preferred method of payment (if you choose to use this method and you haven't got EckO's bank details we will send you out an email with the bank details but if at all possible please pay as you enter the event.)
- Cash - we will ONLY accept cash if the correct amount is placed in a bag with your name and amount written on the bag and then the bag is placed in a bucket at download. This allows us to quarantine the cash for the required length of time
- Cost - Adult member - £5.00, non-member £6.00. Junior member/non-member (up to 21) - £3.00
- Entries close at midnight on Sunday 20th June, 2021
- Start times will be published Thursday 24th June, 2021
- Each event takes a lot of organisation so help would be very much appreciated. The registration form now has a list of some of the essential jobs. If everybody does a little then nobody has to do a lot. Please tick the appropriate box(es) if you are willing to help/ assist in our future events and you will be rostered in. Many thanks!
Nearest facilities are Taynuilt, Connel, Benderloch or Oban.
Safety: Trip hazard - beware of some old wire fencing
Contacts / Officials
Dave Bleazard: Planner
Jan Kersel: Organiser