Winter 1GanavanSun 03 December, 2023
Local level event
Explanation of Event levels
Local events are usually low key and in the 'localised' area, ideal for newcomers to try the sport and Activities are non competitive events used for training and coaching, aimed at members of the club, but they can attract people from neighbouring clubs, and are often ideal for newcomers to try the sport. Regional events attract participants from around the local Region, National events are high quality competitions that will attract people from far away, Major events are Major Events such as a British Championships.
Pre Event Info
Note, Yellow and Long Orange courses will use Ganavan area between coast and the cycle path. The Green course also ventures into nearby Dunolliebeg to the south
Near: Oban Lat,Lng: 56.43748,-5.46923 OS Grid Ref: NM862327
Directions / Parking
Parking, Assembly and Start/Finish at Ganavan Sands Carpark
Registration and Start times
Registration will be from 10:30 and the start will be open from 11.00 - 12.00 with courses closing at 14.00.
- Yellow - 1.7Km 30m climb- uses simple linear features like paths, walls, and streams. Mainly used by under 12’s and family groups
- Long Orange - 3.8Km 130m climb - basic use of the compass and route choice. Mostly follows linear features like paths, walls but some control sites off the line feature. Ideal for beginner adults or experienced youngsters
- Green - 3.0Km 125m climb - mostly experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue - 5.0Km 210m climb - mostly experienced under 18s and adults wanting a longer challenging course with very hard navigational difficulty
NOTE - We much prefer PRE-ENTRY and payment by bank transfer, but will accept some entry on the day (dependent on the number of maps available).
This event is open to anyone who wishes to have a go at orienteering along with EckO, SOA, BO members.
Sportident (SI) electronic timing will be used.
ENTRIES are now open
HOW TO ENTER: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information for each competitor:
- Age group (e.g. M14, W45); if you are not sure give your year of birth.
- Course (Yellow, Orange, etc.)
- Dibber number (if you do not have a dibber we will supply one)
- Method of payment:
Bank transfer (Account name: Loch Eck Orienteers, Sort code: 87-43-62, Account number: 75376768)
Cash (place in a labelled envelope)
Juniors (under 21): £3
Seniors (members): £5, (non-members) £6
Plenty of great facilities in Oban. Toilets at Ganavan Carpark (if they are open)
- All competitors take part at their own risk and should choose a course that matches their experience and fitness.
- You MUST report to Download by the Course Closing Time
- Please dress appropriately for the outdoors on the West coast of Scotland in September
Contacts / Officials