GlencruittenSun 01 October, 2023
Local level event
Explanation of Event levels
Local events are usually low key and in the 'localised' area, ideal for newcomers to try the sport and Activities are non competitive events used for training and coaching, aimed at members of the club, but they can attract people from neighbouring clubs, and are often ideal for newcomers to try the sport. Regional events attract participants from around the local Region, National events are high quality competitions that will attract people from far away, Major events are Major Events such as a British Championships.
Near: Lat,Lng: 56.40993,-5.45929
Directions / Parking
NB: Parking wil be along Glencruitten Drive/ Mossfield avenue area by the Rugby Club near Mossfield, Oban. The Rugby Club is being used so please don't park at the rugby club.
From the centre of Oban travel 400m SE on the A816; take a left at the church into Glencruitten Road; take the second right turn into Mossfield Avenue; parking will be from the SE end of Mossfield Avenue
Map / Terrain
Glencruitten is a spruce plantation with network of paths and tracks on edge of Oban. We'll be using a new map of the area created in summer 2023 by Jon Musgrave. There is still a lot of bracken around particularly on Blue and Green courses. Those areas that have been felled over the years are quite rough in parts. There are also a number of mountain bike tracks over the hillsides - need to keep alert for bikers. There is a mandatory crossing of the railway line under the bridge and an exclusion area close to the golf course.
Registration and Start times
Registration will be on the football pitch.
The start is along the main forest track above the railway line. (Approximately 700m walk to the start from the rugby club). Please follow signs and red and white tapes to the start.
There will be some tapes for those on the Yellow Course.
Finish is down on the football pitch near the rugby club.
Registration will be from 10.30. Starts will be from 11.00 - 12.00 with the courses closing at 2pm.
Remember to download when you have completed your run.
All courses tbc but likely to be -
- Yellow - 2.5km - uses simple linear features like paths, walls, and streams. Mainly used by under 12’s and family groups
- Orange -3.0km - basic use of the compass and route choice. Mostly follows linear features like paths, walls but some control sites off the line feature. Ideal for beginner adults or experienced youngsters
- Red - 4.5km easier navigation similar to a very long yellow. Suitable for those who don't have much orienteering experience but are running fit.
- Green -4.3km- mostly experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue - 5.5km - mostly experienced under 18s and adults wanting a longer challenging course with very hard navigational difficultly
NOTE - We much prefer PRE-ENTRY and payment by bank transfer, but will accept some entry on the day (dependent on the number of maps available).
This event is open to anyone who wishes to have a go at orienteering along with EckO, SOA, BO members.
Sportident (SI) electronic timing will be used.
ENTRIES are now open
HOW TO ENTER: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information for each competitor:
- Age group (e.g. M14, W45); if you are not sure give your year of birth.
- Course (Yellow, Orange, etc.)
- Dibber number (if you do not have a dibber we will supply one)
- Method of payment:
Bank transfer (Account name: Loch Eck Orienteers, Sort code: 87-43-62, Account number: 75376768)
Cash (place in a labelled envelope)
- Entry Fees:
Juniors (under 21): £3
Seniors (members): £5, (non-members) £6
Plenty of great facilities in Oban.
- All competitors take part at their own risk and should choose a course that matches their experience and fitness.
- You MUST report to Download by the Course Closing Time
- Please dress appropriately for the outdoors on the West coast of Scotland in Octobe
- Ticks are common in the competition area. Check carefully after the event and remove any ticks with a suitable removal tool.
- As ever, if you have any COVID symptoms, please respect others and stay away.
Contacts / Officials
Ruari and Finlay Cottier