EckO moves to Sutherland's Grove for November
Kicking off the ECKO November orienteering activities in Sutherland's Grove, Barcaldine is a ROMP planned by Andy Dale. Many thanks Andy.
What is a Romp?
A Romp is an orienteering activity that can be done at any time suitable to the individual/ family. There is no competitive element and hence no timing involved. A Romp can be used as a fun activity, an ordinary orienteering course or a training exercise with specific goals in mind.
Two courses (Orange and Green) have been planned and controls have been placed. Choose a course suitable to your ability and fitness, download your map and head to Sutherland's Grove. The controls will be in place until Sunday 29th November. Each control is a small laminated orienteering kite with a code on the back so that you can check that you have the right control.
Please note that participants take part at their own risk and as an individual activity it is not covered by any orienteering insurance policy.
Please read the following information carefully:
- If you are displaying one or more COVID-19 symptons you must not attend.
- If you are in COVID-19 quarantine you must not attend
- People in higher risk categories as set out by the government should be aware that attending activities/ events places you at increased risk.
- The 2 metre rule applies at all times, including at the controls, so please move away from controls as soon as you are able.
- Please keep young children with you at all times
- Please do not congregate at the start, finish or car park.
- By taking part you agree to British Orienteering code of conduct (see https://www.scottish-orienteering.org/about/club-toolkit/#toolkit-Conduct)
Differences to ‘normal’ due to Covid-19:
- Please avoid touching the controls
- Avoid any unnecessary contact with gates, fences, etc
- Sutherland’s Grove is very popular with the general public and likely to be very busy with dog walkers and cyclists particularly on the cycle track and surrounding the parking area. Please be aware of others and maintain your social distance.
- Some areas have recently been felled and there is possibly still some felling going on so please be aware of timber lorries on some of the wider forestry roads
- Ticks: There are ticks around particularly in the bracken so please check yourself carefully after your run.
Courses, map and terrain
- The map is 1:10,000 with 5m contours
- Sutherland’s Grove is a mixture of rough woodland with some open forest and recent felling. Plentiful paths and tracks.
- There are 2 courses available: Click on course required for a pdf map. Green will take you on a loop above a newly felled area, where there are lovely views. A couple of short forays into the felled areas are easily skipped if you don't fancy them as they're somewhat rough underfoot.
- Waterproof maps will be available from Dave Bleazard at Outside Edge in Oban (cost £1.00/map). A few maps of each course will also be available to pick up in from Andy in Barcaldine. Maps are in his greenhouse - please take one and leave £1.00. If you don't know where Andy lives please contact him.
Postcode: PA37 1SQ
Open an interactive map in:
GoogleMap - Streetmap (OS 50k)
OpenStreetMap - BingMap (OS 50k)
Directions / Parking
Leave the A828 just north of Barcaldine and park in the Forestry and Land Scotland car park.
Dogs are allowed but please keep them with you at all times and clear up any mess.