MapRun comes to Oban
How to get your orienteering fix using MapRun and visit parts of Oban you've probably never seen before. MapRun can be done as a fun family activity/challenge or individually as a course or for training. Can you run all the way up Jacob's Ladder? Have you ever been to McCaig's Tower?
'MapRun is an app which allows you to use your smartphone to enjoy orienteering without needing to set up physical control points on the ground. There are now MapRun courses set up all across Scotland which you can go and run right now, with more new ones being added all the time.'
SOA have a very informative section on MapRun and will assist you in the process of getting started but below is a very quick guide on how to get started:
1. Download MapRunF from Google Play or Apple App Store
2. Start the App
3. Enter your Name - to be used with your results
4. Tap Select Event, scroll down to UK, then Scotland, then ECKO
5. Choose/tap to download which course you want to try
6. Tap Go to Start to see the map and course
7. Go to the Start area ( in this case Atlantis Leisure car park) making sure you have the course map pdf which you can download using the link below or on the SOA Maprun site.
8. When you are ready, run/ walk through the start and you should hear a beep and this will trigger the course timer.
9. Visit each control in order and when you get close to the control your phone will beep. I run with the map in one hand and the phone in the other but the phone can be kept in a pocket, beeping away and recording your route.
10. You must go through the Finish control to stop the timer (with another beep) and complete the route.
11. Maprun will automatically upload your results (and others) for that course creating a sort of league table for each course which you can use for training/ competitive purposes if you wish. You can manually upload your results and they can be linked to Strava.
We now have 3 courses for you to try out in Oban. Courses for different areas will be appearing when they are completed.
Oban Urban Short - 1.8km
Oban Urban Long 1 - 3.0km
Oban Urban Long 2 - 3.5km
For those of you who are new to Urban Orienteering please be aware of the following
1. Courses are TD3 (medium difficulty) urban style and some do involve road crossings so please take care.
2. Olive green is Out of Bounds (private property/ garden) - don't take short cuts through gardens/private property
3. Do not cross thick black lined (on the map) walls or fences
4. The distances on the map are as the crow flies so you will end up running a longer distance
5. These courses are not official orienteering registered events or activities so participants take part at their own risk
Risk Assessment available here.
Urban/Sprint map symbols can be downloaded here.
All starts are at Atlantis Leisure
I would strongly recommend that you download the pdf version of the map to carry with you and just use your phone for timing (you will hear the beeps as each control is reached) as it's quite difficult to see the course on the phone when the sun is shining.
The Oban Urban pdf's can be downloaded here:
Oban Urban Short
Oban Urban Long 1
Oban Urban Long 2
or on the MapRun section of the SOA site
Results are automatically uploaded to MapRun and can be linked to Strava.
Please contact if you want further information or have any constructive feedback.