EckO Autumn 2019 Newsletter
Hot off the press - read the newsletter to find out what EckO are planning for the Autumn and Winter
EckO have had a very busy summer of orienteering, culminating with over 30 members taking part in the Scottish 6 Days at Strathearn (see report on the EckO website).
We are now heading into our Autumn and Winter series and there is a lot of information that we would like to share with our members.
1. Upcoming local orienteering events organised by EckO members :
- Sunday, 15th September 2019 at Dunstaffnage
- Sunday, 29th September 2019 at Ganavan
- Sunday, 20th October 2019 at Sutherland’s Grove
- Sunday, 27th October 2019 at Fearnoch
- Friday - Sunday 1-3rd November 2019. EckO are hosting ScotJos - watch this space for further information
- Saturday - Sunday 8-9th November 2019. Junior Inter Area competition at Cambus-O-May - any interested juniors?
- Saturday/Sunday, 16/17th November 2019 at Kerrera (Sat/Sun depending on weather)
- Sunday, 24th November 2019 at Dunollie
- Sunday, 8th December 2019 at Tralee with a Christmas theme
We are intending to offer junior and adult (Beginner) training at these events - further details will be on the website shortly.
2. Upcoming Scottish Orienteering Events:
(See SOA website - https://www.scottish-orienteering.org/events/fixtures-results/)
- Sunday, 8th September 2019 - CompassPoint SOL 4 - Drummond Hill, Loch Tay. A few EckO members have entered this event. Entries have now closed ,but entry on the day may be available.
- Sunday, 22nd September 2019 - CompassPoint SOL 5 - North Pentland Hills
- Sunday, 13th October 2019 - CompassPoint SOL 6 - Teviothead
- Saturday/ Sunday 30th November 2019 - Glasgow Parks Championships
3. Upcoming Courses:-
The SOA are running some development courses and we would encourage you to think about participating. All details can be found on the SOA website
Wed Sep 25th 7-9pm, MapRun Workshop , Dunblane High School
MapRun is a smartphone app that allows you to take part in orienteering “events” using gps signals to identify control sites. It has many attractive features for offering simple opportunities to participate in orienteering, including:
· No effort in putting out / collecting controls
· Can be used at any time and there “forever”
· No vulnerability to vandalism or upkeep required
· Ongoing results table to motivate participation
As such it has great potential for introducing new people to the sport, running orienteering sessions in schools, and setting up simple club training opportunities.
Interested in finding out how it works and how to create your own courses?
Come along to an informal practical workshop which will be led by Sarah Dunn.
All welcome. No fee to attend.
Juniors under 15 should be accompanied by a parent.
Please bring a smartphone with the MapRun app pre-loaded - you can download it for free from your App Store – as we plan to offer an opportunity to test it out on a simple course.
There is some basic info about the app on the Maroc website here: https://www.marocscotland.org.uk/using-the-maprun-app-for- orienteering-training
Please sign up for the workshop via the Google Form here: https://forms.gle/NAAL1n41LFFzKDC4A
Nominations for the Sportscotland Coaching and Volunteering Awards closes noon Monday 2nd September
12th October Coaching Foundation - Edinburgh - for those starting out in coaching and a pre-requisite for other levels. https://www.scottish- orienteering.org/courses/coaching-foundation-2/
12th October One day Emergency First Aid - Edinburgh - needed to support Level 1 https://www.scottish-orienteering.org/courses/1-day- emergency-first-aid-at-work-outdoor/
2/3 Nov Level 2 https://www.scottish-orienteering.org/courses/l2c- 591-2/
NB SportScotland grant subsidy available but you need to apply a month in advance. Info via link on above page.
9th Nov 2 day Emergency First Aid to support Level 3 coacheshttps://www.scottish-orienteering.org/courses/2-day- emergency-first-aid-at-work-outdoor/
November 30 - December 1 Level 1 https://www.scottish- orienteering.org/courses/scottish-level-1-coach-l1c/ Again SportsScotland subsidy available but needs to be applied for 1 month in advance.
EckO holds regular committee meetings and the minutes can be found on the EckO website. A warm welcome is extended to any member who would like to attend. Our next committee meeting is on:-
Thursday, 24th October 2019 at 7:00pm at Taynuilt Hotel
(All welcome - come along for a chat/social)